My kids are early risers, all 3 of them. Saturday mornings at our house start no later than 7AM. I am always amazed when friends mention sleeping til 9 or later on Saturday because that just doesn’t happen around our house. On a recent Saturday morning, early Saturday morning, I was lying in bed trying to muster the energy to get up and I could hear the kids playing in the den. I knew if I didn’t get up they would barge in and wake their mother up and that would just ruin everybody’s day (Amen?!). Suddenly I heard pots and pans, my pulse quickened, my thoughts raced…thus the inspiration for this post…sounds that grip parents with fear early in the morning (dum, dum, duuuum)
- pots and pans
- the pitter patter of little feet, then THUD!
- the pitter patter of little feet coming down the stairs then THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD…(wait for it)…THUD!
- the pitter patter of little feet…on the roof (OK, that’s pretty much scary any time of the day)
- power tools
- the car starting
- the garage door going up
- duct tape being pulled off the roll
- someone saying “How do you light this?”
- the blender or mixer
- the smoke alarm
- someone saying “Watch this!” then hearing the dog yelp and claw at your door
- the repeated opening of the fridge door
- whispers just outside your bedroom door
- whispers then giggles just outside your bedroom door
and finally, the sound that scares me most early in the morning…
- complete silence…that’s when I know they are really up to something.
Add to the list, this ought to be fun.